President asks Naxalites to shun violence
Raipur: President Pratibha Patil on Friday asked the Naxalites to shun violence and come forward for talks and join hands with the government to usher progress for the tribal population which they represent.
"I would like to urge Naxalites and those involved in violent acts to shun violence, talk and think appropriately and get involved in the mainstream of the society to ensure progress for their own tribal population," she said.
Patil, who reached the Chhattisgarh capital today on a two-day official visit, was addressing the legislators at the state Assembly hall here.
Expressing grief over the spate of recent Naxal violence in which a number of people were killed, the President said the biggest of problems can be resolved through "talks and communication".
"Maintenance of peace and its continuance is very essential for the progress of the country," she said before inaugurating the newly-constructed central hall in the
The President also expressed concern over prevalence of social evils like dowry, child marriage, female foeticide and said awareness and education against these issues should be spread.
She said fruits of economic development should reach each and every sections of the society.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Gujarat Dalit protest: After Rahul, Kejriwal to visit violence-hit Una today
- PM Narendra Modi to lay foundation stone of AIIMS in Gorakhpur today
- Rajya Sabha to vote on bill seeking 'special status' for Andhra Pradesh today
- 'Bunty Chor' - Delhi's high-end car thief arrested; BMW, Toyota Fortuner recovered
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh may surrender today; wife alleges harassment by BSP goons