President asks Naxalites to shun violence
Raipur: President Pratibha Patil on Friday asked the Naxalites to shun violence and come forward for talks and join hands with the government to usher progress for the tribal population which they represent.
"I would like to urge Naxalites and those involved in violent acts to shun violence, talk and think appropriately and get involved in the mainstream of the society to ensure progress for their own tribal population," she said.
Patil, who reached the Chhattisgarh capital today on a two-day official visit, was addressing the legislators at the state Assembly hall here.
Expressing grief over the spate of recent Naxal violence in which a number of people were killed, the President said the biggest of problems can be resolved through "talks and communication".
"Maintenance of peace and its continuance is very essential for the progress of the country," she said before inaugurating the newly-constructed central hall in the
The President also expressed concern over prevalence of social evils like dowry, child marriage, female foeticide and said awareness and education against these issues should be spread.
She said fruits of economic development should reach each and every sections of the society.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured