President compliments Indian expatriate community in UAE
Abu Dhabi: On her first visit to the Gulf region, President Pratibha Patil on Monday paid rich compliments to the Indian expatriates for their hard work, telling them that their remittances have helped their country prosper.
"Your sustained remittances over the years have contributed to the foreign exchange reserves of India. I would also like to mention that India is the biggest recipient of
remittances by expatriates.....We are proud of your achievements," she said at a function of the India Social and Cultural Centre here.
Patil said the global Indian diaspora, spread across several continents has made India proud by their contribution to the country of residence and to their motherland India.
Noting that the Indian community in UAE is estimated to be around 1.75 million-strong, making it the largest expatriate community in this country, she said that its presence was in almost all spheres of economic activity.
Referring to the challenges and aspirations of the expatriate Indian community, she said that Government of India and the UAE government are engaged in continuous dialogue on matters concerning the Indian labour.
"I am happy that during my visit, I will be launching the Indian Workers Resources Centre, to provide a 24-hour helpline and counseling services for Indian workers in the
UAE. This will be an important step to take the grievance redressal mechanism to the doorsteps of the large number of Indians, who are in distress and in need of urgent
assistance," she said.
The President is in the UAE on her first official visit to this country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security