President condoles death of IAF personnel
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Wednesday condoled the death of Indian Air Force (IAF) personnel in a helicopter crash during a rescue mission in Uttarakhand.
"I offer my most profound condolences to the grieving families. I salute the courage and supreme sacrifice of the heroes who laid down their lives in the line of duty," he said in a message to Air Chief Marshal NAK Browne.
"I am proud of the exemplary manner in which the IAF has responded to the challenge of rescuing and saving thousands of lives in the face of the fury of nature and at a time of grave crisis."
He said the IAF`s determination to "keep moving on" irrespective of the tragedy and until the last stranded pilgrim was rescued "is in the finest
traditions of the Indian armed forces".
The President said his thoughts and prayers were with the "air warriors" engaged in rescuing those still stranded by cloudburst and flash floods in Uttarakhand.
Twenty people were killed when an IAF Mi-17 chopper crashed while returning from a rescue mission on Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NASA inflates spare room in space
- Bihar Class 10th Result 2016, BSEB 10th Result 2016: Bihar Board Matric Class 10 Results 2016 (biharboard.bih.nic.in) to be declared today on May 29
- Kiran Bedi to assume charge as Lt Governor of Puducherry today
- Trials of Talgo train to commence today: Know more about it
- Cristiano Ronaldo strikes shoot-out winner as Real Madrid crowned kings of Europe