President condoles demise of RP Goenka
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Sunday condoled the death of Rama Prasad Goenka, and said the nation has lost a leading industrialist and distinguished personality.
In his condolence message to Goenka`s wife Sushila, the President said, "Goenka was an industrialist whose contribution to the establishment of various industrial and business enterprises helped in national development as well as created employment opportunities for thousands of our people."
Known as the country`s `takeover specialist`, the 83-year-old industrialist passed away at his residence this morning.
Mukherjee said he knew `Rama Babu`, as he was fondly called by his friends, for many years.
"As a Member of Parliament (Rajya Sabha), he made valuable contributions in the deliberations of the House. In his death, the nation has lost a leading industrialist and a distinguished personality and I have lost a personal friend," he said.
The President also spoke to his son Sanjiv Goenka and conveyed his condolences.
Goenka, an architect of the RPG Enterprises conglomerate spanning varied interests from power to music, was suffering from age-related illnesses and breathed his last at 6:00 am.
Eldest son of Keshav Prasad Goenka, he belonged to one of the oldest business families of the city.
R P Goenka is survived by his wife Sushila and sons Harsh Vardhan and Sanjiv.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Sushant Singh Rajput's Twitter commentary of MS Dhoni's innings at Mohali is a Must Read