President condoles Verghese Kurien`s demise
Tirumala: President Pranab Mukherjee on Sunday condoled the death of Dr Verghese Kurien, the father of India`s `white revolution`.
Mukherjee hailed Kurien as one who ushered in white revolution and had made enormous contributions to the fields of agriculture, rural development and dairying.
Kurien, 90, who took India from being a milk-deficient country to the world`s largest milk producer, passed away early this morning in Gujarat due to age-related problems.
He is recognised as the man who started `operation flood`, the largest diary development programme in the world, besides making the Amul brand a household name.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Blackbuck poaching case: Rajasthan government may appeal against Salman Khan's acquittal
- 'Michael Jackson died a vulnerable man'
- Kunis, Kutcher bought wedding rings on e-commerce site
- Court rejects Ohio law that bans police from sex with minors
- Democrats speaking about world that does not exist: Trump