President congratulates Qatar`s Emir
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Tuesday congratulated Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani on the first anniversary of his accession as the Emir of Qatar.
"On behalf of the government and the people of India and on my own behalf, I extend warm greetings and congratulations to Your Highness and the people of the State of Qatar," Mukherjee said in a message.
Mukherjee said historical and friendly relations between India and Qatar are deeply rooted in cultural, religious and economic ties, characterised by extensive people-to-people contacts.
"I am confident that our multifaceted engagement in different fields would further deepen and strengthen our ongoing cooperation for the mutual benefit of both our peoples," Mukherjee said.
Sheikh Tamim became the 8th emir of Qatar on June 25, 2013 after his father, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa al Thani, abdicated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice