President consults legal experts on the ordinance
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Friday consulted a number of legal experts seeking their opinions on the controversial ordinance on convicted lawmakers.
The President`s consultations were part of his exercise to firm up an opinion on the ordinance and his course of action, Rashtrapati Bhavan source said.
The ordinance, approved by the union cabinet earlier this week and referred to him, drew a sharp reaction from Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi.
Mukherjee had called Home Minister and Leader of the House in Lok Sabha Sushilkumar Shinde, Law Minister Kapil Sibal and later Parliamentary Affairs minister Kamal Nath yesterday for consultations on the issue.
The ordinance seeks to undo the Supreme Court judgement striking down a provision in the electoral law that protected MPs and MLAs convicted for serious crimes from immediate disqualification.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city