President consults legal experts on the ordinance
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Friday consulted a number of legal experts seeking their opinions on the controversial ordinance on convicted lawmakers.
The President`s consultations were part of his exercise to firm up an opinion on the ordinance and his course of action, Rashtrapati Bhavan source said.
The ordinance, approved by the union cabinet earlier this week and referred to him, drew a sharp reaction from Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi.
Mukherjee had called Home Minister and Leader of the House in Lok Sabha Sushilkumar Shinde, Law Minister Kapil Sibal and later Parliamentary Affairs minister Kamal Nath yesterday for consultations on the issue.
The ordinance seeks to undo the Supreme Court judgement striking down a provision in the electoral law that protected MPs and MLAs convicted for serious crimes from immediate disqualification.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit!
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"