President for woman judge in SC, Govt favours proposal
New Delhi: Government is mulling
appointing a woman judge to the Supreme Court after President
Pratibha Patil made a suggestion in this regard to the Law
A Rashtrapati Bhavan Source said the President has
asked the Ministry to explore the possibility of elevating at
least one woman judge to the Supreme Court as there has not
been a appointment of single woman judge after the retirement
of Justice Ruma Pal in June 2006.
Law Minister M Veerapa Moily said he also favoured the
appointment of woman judge to the Supreme Court.
"Everybody wants that. I am not in disagreement," he
said when asked about the President`s proposal.
Jharkhand High Court Chief Justice Gyan Sudha Mishra
is the senior-most among the woman judges in High Courts who
can be considered for elevation to the apex court.
Others in seniority after Justice Mishra are Rekha
Doshit of the Gujarat High Court, Justice Ranjana P Dessai of
the Bombay High Court and Justice T Meena Kumari of the Andhra
Pradesh High Court.
Justice M Fatima Beevi was the first woman judge in
the Supreme Court followed by Justices Sujata Manohar and Ruma
Against the sanctioned strength of 31, the Supreme
Court has 27 judges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- Preggers Mira Rajput admitted to hospital; hubby Shahid Kapoor's parents hurry to meet bahu!
- 'Spit remark' on PV Sindhu's achievements: Director says fans didn't get his satire, gets TROLLED again
- 2016 Hyundai Elantra: Check out features and specifications
- Institute of Company Secretaries of India Result 2016; Check icsi.edu for ICSI CS Executive Result 2016 declared
- Avoid getting sick this monsoon with these top health tips!