President gives away awards to 26 children
New Delhi: Twenty six children were today conferred the `national child award for exceptional achievement` 2012 in their fields by President Pranab Mukherjee.
The award is given away to children in recognition of their exceptional abilities and outstanding achievements in the fields of academics, culture, arts, sports, music etc in the age group of four to 15 years.
The gold medal in this category went to Harsh Bandhey, a student of standard VII of DPS Durg for his achievements in the field of academics. The award carries a cash prize of Rs 20,000, a citation and a gold medal.
The awardees also included Tuhin Dey who is suffering from cerebral palsy and has been diagnosed with 90 per cent disability. The award was bestowed on him for overcoming odds and scoring 70 per cent marks in academics.
He studies with the aid of a computer which he operates with his tongue and lips.
Hifza Baig, a class III student of Ghaziabad who has found a place in the Limca Book of Records, 2013 was another awardee in this category for displaying her exceptional talent in mathematics.
The mathematical wizard is able to mentally compute answers to complex mathematical questions in matter of seconds.
The President also presented the `national awards for child welfare 2011 to five institutions and three individuals and the Rajiv Gandhi manav seva awards 2011 to three individuals for their outstanding contribution towards the service of children, including the little ones with various kind of disabilities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city