President gives away awards to 26 children
New Delhi: Twenty six children were today conferred the `national child award for exceptional achievement` 2012 in their fields by President Pranab Mukherjee.
The award is given away to children in recognition of their exceptional abilities and outstanding achievements in the fields of academics, culture, arts, sports, music etc in the age group of four to 15 years.
The gold medal in this category went to Harsh Bandhey, a student of standard VII of DPS Durg for his achievements in the field of academics. The award carries a cash prize of Rs 20,000, a citation and a gold medal.
The awardees also included Tuhin Dey who is suffering from cerebral palsy and has been diagnosed with 90 per cent disability. The award was bestowed on him for overcoming odds and scoring 70 per cent marks in academics.
He studies with the aid of a computer which he operates with his tongue and lips.
Hifza Baig, a class III student of Ghaziabad who has found a place in the Limca Book of Records, 2013 was another awardee in this category for displaying her exceptional talent in mathematics.
The mathematical wizard is able to mentally compute answers to complex mathematical questions in matter of seconds.
The President also presented the `national awards for child welfare 2011 to five institutions and three individuals and the Rajiv Gandhi manav seva awards 2011 to three individuals for their outstanding contribution towards the service of children, including the little ones with various kind of disabilities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now