President gives away awards to 26 children
New Delhi: Twenty six children were today conferred the `national child award for exceptional achievement` 2012 in their fields by President Pranab Mukherjee.
The award is given away to children in recognition of their exceptional abilities and outstanding achievements in the fields of academics, culture, arts, sports, music etc in the age group of four to 15 years.
The gold medal in this category went to Harsh Bandhey, a student of standard VII of DPS Durg for his achievements in the field of academics. The award carries a cash prize of Rs 20,000, a citation and a gold medal.
The awardees also included Tuhin Dey who is suffering from cerebral palsy and has been diagnosed with 90 per cent disability. The award was bestowed on him for overcoming odds and scoring 70 per cent marks in academics.
He studies with the aid of a computer which he operates with his tongue and lips.
Hifza Baig, a class III student of Ghaziabad who has found a place in the Limca Book of Records, 2013 was another awardee in this category for displaying her exceptional talent in mathematics.
The mathematical wizard is able to mentally compute answers to complex mathematical questions in matter of seconds.
The President also presented the `national awards for child welfare 2011 to five institutions and three individuals and the Rajiv Gandhi manav seva awards 2011 to three individuals for their outstanding contribution towards the service of children, including the little ones with various kind of disabilities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid