President greets nation on Ganesh Chaturthi
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee greeted the nation Sunday on the eve of Ganesh Chaturthi and exhorted the people to make fresh efforts towards building a "new, just, strong and caring India where people live in happiness and harmony".
Mukherjee said the celebration of the festival that marks the birth of Lord Ganesh brings people from all walks of life together.
The 10-day Ganeshotsav festival begins Monday.
"The large-scale public celebrations of this festival were successfully encouraged by the great freedom fighter Lokmanya Bal Gangadhar Tilak to galvanise support for India`s independence movement," he said.
The president appealed to the people to resolve to renew the spirit and vision of the great leader (Tilak) and re-dedicate themselves to the country`s development and progress.
"May the festivities associated with Ganesh Chaturthi mark the beginning of fresh efforts towards building a new, just, strong and caring India where people live in happiness and harmony," he said.
"Let us celebrate this festival by reaffirming our faith in all that is good, noble and virtuous and instilling in ourselves pride in the composite culture of India," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family