President greets nation on Onam
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Tuesday greeted the nation on the occasion of Onam, Kerala`s harvest festival.
"On the joyous occasion of Onam, I offer my warm felicitation and heartiest greetings to all my brothers and sisters belonging to Kerala," Mukherjee said in a statement on Tuesday.
The festival, which marks the homecoming of Kerala`s mythological king Mahabali, will be celebrated on Friday.
"May this harvest festival instil in us the spirit of national integration and inspire us to work for further development of our country.
"This unique festival brings out the rich cultural heritage of Kerala in its best form and spirit.
"The auspicious occasion is marked by a resolve to lead our lives by imbibing the virtues of truth, love, piety and humility," the statement added.
Tamil Nadu leaders greet Malayalees
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa and DMK president M Karunanidhi today greeted Malayalees on Onam.
In a statement issued here, Jayalalithaa said, "The Onam festival stresses the high ideals of living together without arrogance, without caste or religious differences. I extend my heartfelt Onam greetings."
Extending his greetings to Malayalees, Karunanidhi said in a statement that the festival urges people to get rid of bad qualities like arrogance and cunningness, while nurturing qualities like love, peace, tolerance, brotherhood and sharing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report