President had initially opposed Padma Bhushan for Chatwal
New Delhi: The controversy regarding the decision to award Padma Bhushan to NRI hotelier Sant Singh Chatwal is far from over. A report on Friday claimed that President Pratibha Patil had been unwilling to toe the government’s line and had asked for clarifications.
As per the newspaper report, Rashtrapati Bhavan was concerned about the controversy surrounding his discharge in bank fraud cases.
The President consented after government’s assurance of removing Chatwal’s name if any unfavorable finding came up before the award ceremony, scheduled in March.
As per the report, Home Secretary GK Pillai has assured Pratibha Patil of not going ahead with awarding Chatwal inclusion if any controversy surfaces.
Pillai further said that, the CBI, which once was probing Chatwal’s role for alleged bank fraud has taken a decision not to appeal against his discharge in the cases.
Interestingly, Chatwal’s nomination was backed by two Union ministers - Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel and Minister for Overseas Indian Affairs Vayalar Ravi.
Earlier, the issue was raked up by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), which dispatched a letter to President Pratibha Patil and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh demanding that the award be taken back.
Chatwal, who is considered close to former US President Bill Clinton and his wife and US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was earlier chargesheeted by the CBI for an alleged USD 9 million fraud case connected with the State Bank of India. He had allegedly defaulted on paying back the money he owed to the bank.
The hotelier was acquitted in one of the four cases in 2008 but since the Director of Prosecution opposed an appeal in the matter, the case was closed.
Chatwal had recently announced that his Hampshire Hotels chain would set up 25 hotels in India by 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena