President leaves for Mauritius on 5-day Visit
New Delhi: President Pratibha Patil on Sunday
embarked on a five-day State Visit to Mauritius during which
she will address the National Assembly and hold wide-ranging
discussions with the island nation`s top leadership.
At the Rashtrapati Bhawan, the President was given a
warm send-off by Vice President Hamid Ansari and Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh.
During the visit, the President will also be conferred
Honorary Degree of Doctor of Civil Law by the Mauritius
During her meetings with her counterpart Sir Anerood
Jugnauth and Prime Minister Navindchandra Ramgoolam, President
Patil will discuss a number of bilateral, regional and
international issues that concern both nations.
"India-Mauritius approaches on many regional and
international issues, such as international terrorism, piracy,
reform of the international institutions, including the United
Nations, especially the Security Council, coincide.
countries have a tradition of strong cooperation in
multilateral fora," the External Affairs Ministry said in a
Patil will address National Assembly of Mauritius and
meet members of the Indian community in the country. She will
also unveil a bust of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi at
the Indira Gandhi Centre for Indian Culture.
The President will also visit heritage sites such as
the Aapravasi Ghat and the Le Mourne and address an
India-Mauritius Business Meet.
During Patil`s stay in Mauritius, the country`s
Opposition Leader Paul Raymond Berenger, Chief Justice Justice
Bernard Sik Yuen, and Speaker of the National Assembly
Rajkeswur Purryag will call on her.
The Ministry said India-Mauritius partnership today is
mutually beneficial, comprehensive, deep and diverse. The
commitment of the two countries to democratic ideals, values
and pluralism reinforces the close ties that they enjoy, it
A high-level business delegation consisting of 57
people from India will also be in Mauritius during the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal