President leaves for Turkey
Brussels: President Pranab Mukherjee on Saturday left for Turkey, the second leg of his tour, after he finished his four-day visit to Belgium where he attended a host of state events.
During his stay in Belgium, the President inaugurated the `Europalia-India 2013-14`, a cultural extravaganza showcasing India.
Mukherjee, in his maiden trip to the country after taking over as the head of the state, was invited by the King Philippe, who in a rare gesture came at the airport here to receive him.
This was the first visit of an Indian President to the European country.
The President will be in Turkey till October 7 where he will attend a host of events. He is going there on an invitation by the President of Turkey.
It would be the third visit by an Indian President to Turkey after the visits by the President of India in 1993 and 1998.
India and Turkey share common interest in ensuring peace and political stability in Afghanistan and Central Asia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets