President Patil arrives in Tajikistan on state visit
Dushanbe (Tajikistan): President Pratibha Patil arrived here on Sunday on a state visit during which she will hold talks with the Tajik leadership on a wide range of issues including efforts to tackle terrorism and participate in the country`s Independence Day celebrations.
Tajikistan Prime Minister Akil Akilov received Patil who was given a ceremonial welcome on her arrival here.
Patil, who is the first Indian President to visit this Central Asian country, will meet with her Tajik counterpart Emomali Rakhmon, the Prime Minister and the speaker of the lower chamber of the parliament Sadullo Khairullayev.
The President would be exchanging views with the Tajik
leadership on important issues of bilateral relationships as
well as on the developments in the region and in the world,
aimed at consolidating the ties in political, economic and
No bilateral documents are expected to be signed during
India and Tajikistan share close defence and security
relations and have been together in the fight against the
Taliban in Afghanistan.
The President would also be participating in the
Independence Day celebrations of Tajikistan, a rare honour
accorded to a foreign dignitary, on Tuesday.
India believes that a concerted efforts between the two
nations against terrorism and extremism would contribute
greatly to peace and stability in the region.
At the political level, both countries maintain an
excellent rapport and there has been regular exchange of
visits at the highest levels.
A business delegation accompanying the President is
expected to infuse new vigour into trade and investment links
between the two countries.
The President`s two nation trip also took her to
Russia where she met with Russian President Dmitry Medvedev
and Prime Minister Vladimir Putin reviewing the bilateral ties
between the two countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional