President Patil calls for higher education reform
Thiruvananthapuram: President Pratibha Devisingh Patil has called for increase in the enrolment ratio of people receiving higher education.
Laying the foundation stone for Indira Gandhi National Open University Southern Regional Campus here on Wednesday, Patil said that the country should cater to the educational requirements of its predominantly young population.
She urged that after universalisation of primary education, it was time to work in the same direction for secondary education as well.
"There is now universalisation of primary education. We hope to move forward in this direction for secondary education as well. However our ultimate aim is to increase the enrolment ratio people receiving higher education. We need to expand our educational infrastructure for that," said Patil.
She said that the need of the hour was to reach out to those who wish to seek higher education but are unable to do so, due to a variety of reasons.
Urging educational institutions to work on distance education format in order to reach out to the broader segment of the society, Patil said: "Distance education was the best mode and offered a great opportunity to those already in employment to upgrade their knowledge base so that they could effectively contribute to increasing the production levels of their respective organisations.
"Distance education can even serve the national development agenda by reaching out to farmers and health workers to provide them information that is relevant for them. There is a need for the government and the universities to act in concern, to work on socially relevant issues and to reach out to a broad segment of the society," she added.
Patil also called for an education system that should look at the holistic development of the youth and instill moral values in them.
"Education should impart values to the youth that makes them sensitive to fellow human beings and the environment around them. It is a value system that can prepare the younger generation to become responsible citizens. Values provide an anchor in life as well as an ability to take decisions however difficult," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’