President Patil leaves for Switzerland, Austria
New Delhi: President Pratibha Patil on Friday left on a visit to Switzerland and Austria during which she will hold bilateral talks with the leadership there on the
issue of black money stashed away by Indians in Swiss banks and other key matters.
Patil would be in Switzerland till October 4 and then will travel to Austria for a state visit from October 4 to 7.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Speaker Meira Kumar and External Affairs Minister SM Krishna were among a host of dignitaries who met her before her departure.
The President will be accompanied by a 45-member business delegation led by former FICCI president and chairman of Modi Enterprises KK Modi, Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla, Members of Parliament Vijay Jawaharlal
Darda, Prataprao Ganpatrao Jadhav, and Chinta Mohan.
Patil would also be visiting the prestigious European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN). The facility is one of the most important areas of research in particle physics.
During the trip, some agreements are also likely to be signed.
In Switzerland, the President will pay homage to Mahatma Gandhi on October 2 at his statue in Geneva.
While in Berne, the President will hold official talks with the President of the Swiss Confederation Micheline Calmy-Rey, and other members of the Federal Council.
The President will also unveil a bust of Rabindranath Tagore at the University of Lausanne on October 4.
An MoU is expected to be signed between the University and the Indian Council for Cultural Relations on setting up of Chair on Indian Studies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan