President Patil leaves for Switzerland, Austria
New Delhi: President Pratibha Patil on Friday left on a visit to Switzerland and Austria during which she will hold bilateral talks with the leadership there on the
issue of black money stashed away by Indians in Swiss banks and other key matters.
Patil would be in Switzerland till October 4 and then will travel to Austria for a state visit from October 4 to 7.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Speaker Meira Kumar and External Affairs Minister SM Krishna were among a host of dignitaries who met her before her departure.
The President will be accompanied by a 45-member business delegation led by former FICCI president and chairman of Modi Enterprises KK Modi, Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla, Members of Parliament Vijay Jawaharlal
Darda, Prataprao Ganpatrao Jadhav, and Chinta Mohan.
Patil would also be visiting the prestigious European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN). The facility is one of the most important areas of research in particle physics.
During the trip, some agreements are also likely to be signed.
In Switzerland, the President will pay homage to Mahatma Gandhi on October 2 at his statue in Geneva.
While in Berne, the President will hold official talks with the President of the Swiss Confederation Micheline Calmy-Rey, and other members of the Federal Council.
The President will also unveil a bust of Rabindranath Tagore at the University of Lausanne on October 4.
An MoU is expected to be signed between the University and the Indian Council for Cultural Relations on setting up of Chair on Indian Studies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi