President Patil seeks prompt action against terrorists
Nicosia: President Pratibha Patil has asked international community to work together to combat the menace of terrorism and sought prompt action against those responsible for causing wanton destruction across the globe.
"We appreciate the strong and unequivocal condemnation
by Cyprus of the terrorist attacks on India. It is important
that the perpetrators of terrorist acts are punished promptly
so that justice and not impunity prevails," Patil said at a
Banquet hosted in her honour by Cypriot President Demetris
She said India "values` the support of Cyprus, a close
and trusted friend, in getting India-specific Nuclear energy
waiver at the Nuclear Suppliers Group.
"By expressing support for the permanent membership of
India in an expanded UN Security Council as well as for the
India specific civil nuclear energy waiver at the Nuclear
Suppliers Group, Cyprus has shown a deep understanding of our
national aspirations," she said.
Patil, who is on a two-day state visit to the island
nation - the first by any Indian head of state in last 20
years, said many opportunities that exist for expanding
interaction between two countries should be seized upon.
Patil said the governments of both the countries need
to encourage business people and institutions to impart
greater energy in their mutual interaction.
"Just as the membership of the EU enlarges frontiers
of opportunity of Cyprus, the rapid economic growth of India
in recent years, even in the adverse global financial
conditions, provides profitable opportunities for medium and
long-term investments," she said.
She wished Christofias every success in transforming
his "worthy vision" of a "just solution to the Cyprus problem"
"We, however, need to imbue our friendship with far
more substantive cooperation on economic, scientific and
technological fronts. Cyprus can be assured of India`s full
commitment to deepening and enhancing the bilateral
relationship," she said.
She said rapid economic growth of India in recent
years, even in the adverse global financial conditions,
provides profitable opportunities for medium and long-term
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview