President Patil seeks prompt action against terrorists
Nicosia: President Pratibha Patil has asked international community to work together to combat the menace of terrorism and sought prompt action against those responsible for causing wanton destruction across the globe.
"We appreciate the strong and unequivocal condemnation
by Cyprus of the terrorist attacks on India. It is important
that the perpetrators of terrorist acts are punished promptly
so that justice and not impunity prevails," Patil said at a
Banquet hosted in her honour by Cypriot President Demetris
She said India "values` the support of Cyprus, a close
and trusted friend, in getting India-specific Nuclear energy
waiver at the Nuclear Suppliers Group.
"By expressing support for the permanent membership of
India in an expanded UN Security Council as well as for the
India specific civil nuclear energy waiver at the Nuclear
Suppliers Group, Cyprus has shown a deep understanding of our
national aspirations," she said.
Patil, who is on a two-day state visit to the island
nation - the first by any Indian head of state in last 20
years, said many opportunities that exist for expanding
interaction between two countries should be seized upon.
Patil said the governments of both the countries need
to encourage business people and institutions to impart
greater energy in their mutual interaction.
"Just as the membership of the EU enlarges frontiers
of opportunity of Cyprus, the rapid economic growth of India
in recent years, even in the adverse global financial
conditions, provides profitable opportunities for medium and
long-term investments," she said.
She wished Christofias every success in transforming
his "worthy vision" of a "just solution to the Cyprus problem"
"We, however, need to imbue our friendship with far
more substantive cooperation on economic, scientific and
technological fronts. Cyprus can be assured of India`s full
commitment to deepening and enhancing the bilateral
relationship," she said.
She said rapid economic growth of India in recent
years, even in the adverse global financial conditions,
provides profitable opportunities for medium and long-term
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?