President Patil to pen autobiography post retirement
New Delhi: President Pratibha Patil plans to write her autobiography after she retires in July.
India`s first woman president will be completing 50 years in public life this year and is contemplating to tell her story in a book, Rashtrapati Bhawan sources said.
In 1962, young Patil had become for the first time a Congress MLA from Jalgaon city constituency of Jalgaon district of Maharashtra.
After her speech at a Kshatriya Mahasabha convention earlier at Chalisgaon, she was noticed by the then Maharashtra Chief Minister YB Chavan who was quick to give her the Congress ticket in the Assembly polls.
Subsequently, she was continuously elected four times as MLA from the Edlabad (Muktai Nagar) constituency till 1985.
Thereafter, she served as a MP in the Rajya Sabha from 1985 to 1990 and was later elected as a Member of Parliament to the 10th Lok Sabha in the 1991 General Elections from the Amravati constituency.
She enjoys the unique distinction of not having lost a single election she contested.
While in college, she took active part in sports, excelled in table tennis and won several shields at various Inter-collegiate tournaments.
Even as an MLA, she pursued her studies as a law student at the Government Law College, Mumbai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon