President pays homage to Kargil war martyrs
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee Saturday paid homage to the Kargil war martyrs on the occasion of the 15th Vijay Diwas (Victory Day).
"The President of India, Pranab Mukherjee has on Kargil Vijay Diwas paid homage to the brave martyrs who sacrificed their lives defending Indian territory and lauded the courage and valour of the Indian armed forces," a statement from the Rashtrapati Bhavan said.
"He has called upon the armed forces to continue to do their duty on our frontiers with honour and dedication," the statement added.
The Indian Army observes July 26 as Vijay Diwas every year to commemorate the sacrifices of its soldiers and also celebrate its victory in the 60-day-long Kargil War in 1999.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer? - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of India's first-ever indigenous space shuttle RLV-TD
- DNA: Analysis of Chabahar pact signed between India, Iran and Afghanistan
- Cancer-causing chemicals found in bread samples, says CSE; Health Ministry orders probe
- Help your child grow with Ziro, a dexterous robotics kit for kids!
- Baltimore police officer acquitted in Freddie Gray death
- Bombs kill nearly 150 in Syrian government-held cities
- India, Iran, Afghanistan ink 'historic' Chabahar port agreement; PM Modi calls it 'corridor of peace, prosperity'