President pays homage to Kargil war martyrs
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee Saturday paid homage to the Kargil war martyrs on the occasion of the 15th Vijay Diwas (Victory Day).
"The President of India, Pranab Mukherjee has on Kargil Vijay Diwas paid homage to the brave martyrs who sacrificed their lives defending Indian territory and lauded the courage and valour of the Indian armed forces," a statement from the Rashtrapati Bhavan said.
"He has called upon the armed forces to continue to do their duty on our frontiers with honour and dedication," the statement added.
The Indian Army observes July 26 as Vijay Diwas every year to commemorate the sacrifices of its soldiers and also celebrate its victory in the 60-day-long Kargil War in 1999.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet