President pays homage to Mahatma Gandhi
Geneva: President Pratibha Patil on Sunday paid homage to Mahatma Gandhi in the picturesque Swiss city of Geneva on the occasion of his 142nd birth anniversary.
Patil, drove to the statue of Gandhi here in the tranquil Ariana Park located on `Avenue of Peace`.
She offered flowers at the statute, where a group of Indian children sang `Ram dhun`. She later undertook a `parikarma (round of the statute) in the misty morning.
Incidentally, the statute was unveiled in 1997 to mark the 60th anniversary of the Treaty of Friendship and Establishment between Indian and Switzerland in August 1948, the first such treaty signed by Independent India.
President is here on a eight-day State Visit to Switzerland and Austria.
She will leave for Swiss capital Bern later in the day after attending an Indian community reception being hosted by Indian Ambassador to Switzerland Chitra Narayanan, daughter of former president KR Narayanan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price