President pays homage to Mahatma Gandhi
Geneva: President Pratibha Patil on Sunday paid homage to Mahatma Gandhi in the picturesque Swiss city of Geneva on the occasion of his 142nd birth anniversary.
Patil, drove to the statue of Gandhi here in the tranquil Ariana Park located on `Avenue of Peace`.
She offered flowers at the statute, where a group of Indian children sang `Ram dhun`. She later undertook a `parikarma (round of the statute) in the misty morning.
Incidentally, the statute was unveiled in 1997 to mark the 60th anniversary of the Treaty of Friendship and Establishment between Indian and Switzerland in August 1948, the first such treaty signed by Independent India.
President is here on a eight-day State Visit to Switzerland and Austria.
She will leave for Swiss capital Bern later in the day after attending an Indian community reception being hosted by Indian Ambassador to Switzerland Chitra Narayanan, daughter of former president KR Narayanan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant