President pays obeisance at Jagannath Temple in Puri
Puri: President Pranab Mukherjee paid obeisance at the famous Jagannath Temple here early Saturday morning.
"The temple was cleared of the outsiders and inside the sanctum sanctorium minimal crowd was ensured to enable the President have a perfect darshan. … He was happy with the arrangements," Rashtrapati Bhawan officials said.
During his last visit to the temple four months back on April 25, the administration had to face some unpleasent moments when three priests insisted on performing the puja for the President claiming to be his family servitors.
While the administrators ensured no such controversies arise this time around, they also took measures to see that the visitors had a good time visiting the temple.
During his visit to the 12th century shine, Mukherjee took keen interest in the renovation work being carried out by the Archeological Survey of India.
Temple administration was hopeful that the renovation programme would be completed by the next Nabakalebar festival (formation of new idols) in 2015, officials said.
Mukherjee is understood to have expressed his desire to visit the temple then.
The President is scheduled to address the convocation of IIT Bhubaneswar and Bharatiya Vidya Bhawan before flying back to Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued