President pays obeisance at Jagannath Temple in Puri
Puri: President Pranab Mukherjee paid obeisance at the famous Jagannath Temple here early Saturday morning.
"The temple was cleared of the outsiders and inside the sanctum sanctorium minimal crowd was ensured to enable the President have a perfect darshan. … He was happy with the arrangements," Rashtrapati Bhawan officials said.
During his last visit to the temple four months back on April 25, the administration had to face some unpleasent moments when three priests insisted on performing the puja for the President claiming to be his family servitors.
While the administrators ensured no such controversies arise this time around, they also took measures to see that the visitors had a good time visiting the temple.
During his visit to the 12th century shine, Mukherjee took keen interest in the renovation work being carried out by the Archeological Survey of India.
Temple administration was hopeful that the renovation programme would be completed by the next Nabakalebar festival (formation of new idols) in 2015, officials said.
Mukherjee is understood to have expressed his desire to visit the temple then.
The President is scheduled to address the convocation of IIT Bhubaneswar and Bharatiya Vidya Bhawan before flying back to Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka