President, PM condole Dev Anand`s demise
New Delhi: President Pratibha Patil, Vice
President Hamid Ansari and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday joined millions of fans in condoling the death of legendary
Bollywood star Dev Anand, calling him a "true genius" and an
embodiment of a life-long passion for acting and film-making.
In her condolence message, Patil said the film industry
had lost a creative talent who "personified the spirit of
graceful ageing with dignity".
She said Dev Anand had delighted fans with his vivacious
acting and as a popular romantic hero. "Anand was a legendary
film artiste as well as a producer, director and writer who
adorned the Hindi cinema with great distinction.
"He shall always be remembered by a generation of film
watchers for his exemplified acting in the movies; Taxi
Driver, Munimji, Guide, Johny Mera Naam, Hare Rama Hare
Krishna and Des Pardes," she said.
Vice President Ansari said the film legend had
entertained generations of Indians with his versatile acting,
direction and production of films.
He had an "intense passion for films", Ansari said.
Describing Dev Anand as a great artiste, Prime Minister
Singh said the legendary actor was "an embodiment of a life-
long passion for acting and film-making."
"I join millions of his fans in mourning his death," he
said in a statement.
I&B Minister Ambika Soni called him a true genius and
evergreen star with whose death an era has come to an end.
"For a career spanning over more than five decades, Dev
Anand gave us films which will stay entrenched in our minds
for years on," Soni said.
Political leaders in Maharashtra paid glowing tributes
to Indian cinema`s legend with Chief Minister Prithviraj
Chavan saying in Mumbai that the country has lost an iconic
film personality who gave joy to countless movie buffs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand