President, PM congratulate team India for WC win
New Delhi: President Pratibha Patil and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Saturday night led the nation in hailing the Indian cricket team`s World Cup triumph saying it is a testimony to the hard work of the players and the astute leadership of MS Dhoni.
In a message to Dhoni, Patil said "the road to success has been long and hard. You and your team were tested at every stage."
"Dedication to the cause, the strength of character to stay the course and astute leadership have finally converted the potential of a talented group of youngsters, the experience of veterans and the hard work of the coach and his staff, into the reality of becoming world champions.
"All of you truly deserve the thanks of a billion plus Indians today," she said.
The Prime Minister said "the hard work and the effort of MS Dhoni and his men have been rewarded".
"I join the nation in congratulating the Indian cricket team on their victory. The hard work and the effort of MS Dhoni and his men have been rewarded. They have shown the world that India is at the top of the game of cricket", Singh said soon after watching the Indian skipper hitting the winning stroke with a huge six.
UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi said the victory of the Indian team "will be etched in gold for generations to come".
"My heartiest congratulations to Team India, you have raised the level of national pride. This victory will be etched in gold for generations to come," Gandhi said in a message.
Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj said "our team has done us proud."
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi said "kudos to team India for the pride they have brought to all of us. Let us keep up this spirit of determination."
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah described the win as a "stunning victory".
Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee said the Indian cricket team "have conquered the world...The way our boys played it proves Indians can use their mind without fear and hold their heads high". She asked the government to declare a national holiday to mark the victory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'