President, PM greet nation on Eid
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Vice President M. Hamid Ansari on Sunday greeted the nation on the occasion of Eid-ul-Fitr, which will be celebrated on Monday.
"On the joyous occasion of Eid-ul-Fitr, I extend my warm greetings and good wishes to all my fellow citizens," the president said.
"Eid-ul-Fitr marks the culmination of the period of fasting during the holy month of Ramzan which is a month of blessings and forgiveness. The festival reminds us of our duties towards the poor and downtrodden as well as the need for charity and generosity towards all," he said.
"May this auspicious day strengthen mutual goodwill and instill in us a sense of unity and pride in the composite culture of India," he said.
In his message, the prime minister said that Eid was an occasion for happiness, marked by the spirit of brotherhood and sacrifice.
"May Eid this year further strengthen our cultural bonds and bring peace and prosperity to all," he said.
Vice President Ansari extended his greetings and good wishes to the citizens and said Eid signified the traditional expression of brotherhood across the country.
"May this festival unite all humanity in a common bond of understanding and inspire all to work tirelessly towards building a harmonious, peaceful and prosperous society," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30