President, PM greet nation on Eid
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Vice President M. Hamid Ansari on Sunday greeted the nation on the occasion of Eid-ul-Fitr, which will be celebrated on Monday.
"On the joyous occasion of Eid-ul-Fitr, I extend my warm greetings and good wishes to all my fellow citizens," the president said.
"Eid-ul-Fitr marks the culmination of the period of fasting during the holy month of Ramzan which is a month of blessings and forgiveness. The festival reminds us of our duties towards the poor and downtrodden as well as the need for charity and generosity towards all," he said.
"May this auspicious day strengthen mutual goodwill and instill in us a sense of unity and pride in the composite culture of India," he said.
In his message, the prime minister said that Eid was an occasion for happiness, marked by the spirit of brotherhood and sacrifice.
"May Eid this year further strengthen our cultural bonds and bring peace and prosperity to all," he said.
Vice President Ansari extended his greetings and good wishes to the citizens and said Eid signified the traditional expression of brotherhood across the country.
"May this festival unite all humanity in a common bond of understanding and inspire all to work tirelessly towards building a harmonious, peaceful and prosperous society," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over SP leader Azam Khan's controversial remark on Muslim population
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowance Committee likely to submit report on 20 February
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO