President, PM greet nation on `Janmashtami`
New Delhi: President Pratibha Patil and
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday greeted the nation on the
eve of Janmashtami, which is being celebrated on Monday to mark
the birth of Lord Krishna.
"On the joyous occasion of Janmashtami, I convey to all
fellow citizens my greetings and good wishes," Patil said in
"May this auspicious day inspire us to follow the path
of duty and selfless service in our striving for peace and
harmony, unity and progress in our society," she said.
In his message, the Prime Minister said that the
festival celebrates teachings of Lord Krishna- discipline,
knowledge and selfless action- which are timeless.
"May the festival inspire us towards a work ethic based
on right conduct and bring success and prosperity to all," he
Extending his "heartiest greetings" to the people, Vice
President Hamid Ansari said, "May this auspicious occasion
bring amity, harmony, prosperity and happiness in our lives."
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar expressed hope that the
festival would bring peace and prosperity, and further
consolidate bonds of goodwill and harmony among the people.
"Let us use this day to motivate ourselves to imbibe the
eternal values of discipline, awareness, and self-sacrificing
"May the festival also sensitise us to eradicate the
ills of ignorance and poverty," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Uttar Pradesh CM Akhilesh Yadav told Mulayam Singh's brother Shivpal that he would float new party?
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- At 500 kilograms, is this 36-year-old the world's heaviest woman?