President, PM greet people on Diwali
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh have extended their warm wishes and greetings to the countrymen as the nation celebrates Diwali on Tuesday.
In his message to the nation, the President on Monday said, “On the joyous occasion of Diwali, I extend my warm greetings and good wishes to my countrymen in India and around the world. Diwali is a time for festivity and happiness cutting across all faiths and cultures. It is an occasion to share our joy with those who are needy and deprived.”
"The diyas (earthen lamps) lit on the moonless night of Diwali signify the end of the darkness of ignorance and the beginning of light that enlightens all. On this auspicious occasion, let us channelise our energies towards vanquishing want and suffering and strive hard for collective growth," he said.
The President wished that the festival of lights would dispel darkness and bring joy and prosperity to all.
"I urge all Indians to try and celebrate a pollution-free Diwali," he said.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who has been concerned over the atmosphere of perceived gloom over last several months, utilised the occasion of Diwali to express hope that a "new phase of optimism" will dawn on countrymen.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar