President, PM greet the nation on Diwali
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherkjee and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Saturday greeted the people on the eve of Diwali, saying the festival marked triumph of good over evil and was an occasion to strengthen bonds of brotherhood in the society.
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar and Congress president Sonia Gandhi also greeted the people on the occasion.
In his message, the president said Diwali marks the triumph of hope over despair, good over evil and light over darkness.
"On the auspicious occasion of Diwali, I extend my warm greetings and good wishes to all my fellow countrymen and to all friends of India, within the country and abroad," he said, adding the festival was celebrated across India by people of different faiths and was a strong re-affirmation of the country`s secular traditions.
Mukherjee added, "May this year`s celebration strengthen the bonds of goodwill and brotherhood between us and further promote mutual understanding."
He also called for efforts to celebrate Diwali "in an eco-friendly and pollution-free manner".
"Let us, on this day, dedicate ourselves to spreading the message of compassion, love, brotherhood and peace. May this Diwali be an occasion to bring the light of happiness and joy into the lives of the needy," he said.
In his message, the prime minister said Diwali was a celebration of the victory of good over evil, light over darkness, and knowledge over ignorance.
Meira Kumar said the spirit of this beautiful festival of lights was symbolic of the victory of good over the evil.
"I wish the lights of Diwali drive out disharmony and discord from our society ... May it bring peace and prosperity to one and all," she said.
In her message, Gandhi said: "May this festival of lights bring in peace, prosperity and progress all around. May it renew and strengthen the bonds of family, community and friendship and may each diya (lamp) we light be a prayer for communal harmony and fraternal relations between people of all different regions and faiths of our country."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown