President Pranab condoles Hugo Chavez’s death
New Delhi: Pranab Mukherjee on Friday paid rich tributes to late Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez describing him as a "highly popular and charismatic leader who endeavoured to advance the cause of the underprivileged".
"It is with sadness that I learned of the untimely demise of President Hugo Chavez. On behalf of the government and people of India, I convey our deepest condolences to the family of President Chavez and to the government and people of Venezuela.
"President Chavez was a highly popular and charismatic leader. He dealt with challenging national issues with courage and bore his difficult personal circumstances with great strength. He continuously endeavoured to advance the cause of the underprivileged. The longstanding ties of friendship and cooperation between the people of India and Venezuela were strengthened under his leadership," Mukherjee said.
"The government and people of India stand by the people of Venezuela in their hour of grief," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- First Minister Nicola Sturgeon plans EU future for Scotland after Brexit
- Seven hospitalized in California stabbing at neo-Nazi rally
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal