President Pranab condoles Hugo Chavez’s death
New Delhi: Pranab Mukherjee on Friday paid rich tributes to late Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez describing him as a "highly popular and charismatic leader who endeavoured to advance the cause of the underprivileged".
"It is with sadness that I learned of the untimely demise of President Hugo Chavez. On behalf of the government and people of India, I convey our deepest condolences to the family of President Chavez and to the government and people of Venezuela.
"President Chavez was a highly popular and charismatic leader. He dealt with challenging national issues with courage and bore his difficult personal circumstances with great strength. He continuously endeavoured to advance the cause of the underprivileged. The longstanding ties of friendship and cooperation between the people of India and Venezuela were strengthened under his leadership," Mukherjee said.
"The government and people of India stand by the people of Venezuela in their hour of grief," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list