President Pranab Mukherjee leaves for Delhi
Kolkata: Cancelling his engagements in the city in view of the death of former prime minister IK Gujral, President Pranab Mukherjee on Saturday left here for the national capital to attend the funeral.
The President arrived here on Friday night from Chennai to attend the 150th anniversary celebrations of Calcutta High Court and the centenary celebrations of National Test House.
Funeral of Gujral will take place in New Delhi during the day.
Mukherjee reached the NSC Bose International airport here in a helicopter from RCTC ground in the city. He left the airport in a special aircraft of IAF at 11 AM, official sources said.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had called on the President at the Raj Bhavan last night and the meeting lasted for 45 minutes, sources said.
The meeting was officially stated to be a courtesy call.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore