President Pranab Mukherjee leaves for Delhi
Kolkata: Cancelling his engagements in the city in view of the death of former prime minister IK Gujral, President Pranab Mukherjee on Saturday left here for the national capital to attend the funeral.
The President arrived here on Friday night from Chennai to attend the 150th anniversary celebrations of Calcutta High Court and the centenary celebrations of National Test House.
Funeral of Gujral will take place in New Delhi during the day.
Mukherjee reached the NSC Bose International airport here in a helicopter from RCTC ground in the city. He left the airport in a special aircraft of IAF at 11 AM, official sources said.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had called on the President at the Raj Bhavan last night and the meeting lasted for 45 minutes, sources said.
The meeting was officially stated to be a courtesy call.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack