President Pranab Mukherjee leaves for Delhi
Kolkata: Cancelling his engagements in the city in view of the death of former prime minister IK Gujral, President Pranab Mukherjee on Saturday left here for the national capital to attend the funeral.
The President arrived here on Friday night from Chennai to attend the 150th anniversary celebrations of Calcutta High Court and the centenary celebrations of National Test House.
Funeral of Gujral will take place in New Delhi during the day.
Mukherjee reached the NSC Bose International airport here in a helicopter from RCTC ground in the city. He left the airport in a special aircraft of IAF at 11 AM, official sources said.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had called on the President at the Raj Bhavan last night and the meeting lasted for 45 minutes, sources said.
The meeting was officially stated to be a courtesy call.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores