President Pranab Mukherjee to visit Tripura
Agartala: President Pranab Mukherjee will undertake a two-day visit to the Left Front ruled Tripura from Thursday, an official said here on Wednesday.
"The President will attend the tenth convocation of Tripura Central University at Suryamaninagar near here Thursday. In the evening, he will attend the civic reception by the Agartala Municipal Council," an official told reporters.
Mukherjee will inaugurate the first unit of 726 MW gas-based power plant on Friday. The plant has been set up by ONGC-Tripura Power Company (OTPC) Ltd at Palatana in southern Tripura, 60 km south of here.
Before leaving for New Delhi on Friday, Mukherjee will attend the fifth convocation of the National Institute of Technology, Agartala.
This would be Mukherjee`s third visit to the northeast states and maiden trip to the Left Front-ruled Tripura after he became the president in July last year.
He visited Manipur, Sikkim, Assam and Nagaland in April-May.
The OTPC was floated by state-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) in association with the Tripura government and Infrastructure Leasing and Financial Service Limited (IL&FS), an infrastructure and financial service organisation.
It will set up a Rs 10,000 crore thermal power project, which is expected to ease the power crisis of the seven northeast states.
Three Indian Air Force helicopters have been kept ready for the president`s trip to southern Tripura and other places.
Tripura Governor Devanand Konwar, Chief Minister Manik Sarkar, Chief Secretary SK Panda and state police chief Sanjay Singh are supervising the arrangements of the president`s Tripura visit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog