President Pranab rejects five mercy pleas, commutes sentence of two
New Delhi: Out of seven people convicted for heinous crimes, President Pranab Mukherjee has upheld execution in five cases while commuting death sentence to life term in two others.
Under Article 72 of the Constitution, the President has power to `grant pardons, etc, and to suspend, remit or commute sentences in certain cases`.
No more mercy files are pending before the President now.
According to reports, the mercy petitions of the following have been dismissed by the President:
Other cases which were on the President`s desk are as follows:
As per the RTI information provided by the Ministry of Home Affairs to the Asian Centre for Human Rights on March 28, 2013, since the Supreme Court laid down the rarest of rare case doctrine in the Bachan Singh Vs State of Punjab case, the Presidents of India had considered 112 mercy pleas since 1981 to April 04, 2013, out of which 83 mercy petitions were rejected, while mercy pleas of only 31 death row-convicts were commuted to life imprisonment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?