President Pranab to visit Assam from May 13
Guwahati: President Pranab Mukherjee will be on a two-day visit to Assam from May 13 to give away the Asom Ratna, Srimanta Sankaradeva Awards and to address the 13th Annual Convocation of Assam University.
This will be Mukherjee`s maiden visit to the state after assuming the office of the President. On May 13, he will confer the Asom Ratna Award for 2012 posthumously to Jnanpith winner Indira Mamoni Raisom Goswami, official sources said on Saturday.
He will also give away the Srimanta Sankaradeva Award for 2008 to renowned film actress Sharmila Tagore at the same ceremony to be held at Pragjyoti ITA Centre for Performing Arts at Machkhowa, Guwahati from 4 pm.
Governor J B Patnaik, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi and Cultural Affairs Minister Pranatee Phukan will also be present at the award ceremony.
The President will then attend the closing ceremony of the Golden Jubilee celebrations of Pandu College in Guwahati on the same day at 5.30 pm, the sources said.
The next day on May 14, Mukherjee will leave for Silchar in south Assam to address the 13th Annual Convocation of Assam University, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch