President Pranab to visit Assam from May 13
Guwahati: President Pranab Mukherjee will be on a two-day visit to Assam from May 13 to give away the Asom Ratna, Srimanta Sankaradeva Awards and to address the 13th Annual Convocation of Assam University.
This will be Mukherjee`s maiden visit to the state after assuming the office of the President. On May 13, he will confer the Asom Ratna Award for 2012 posthumously to Jnanpith winner Indira Mamoni Raisom Goswami, official sources said on Saturday.
He will also give away the Srimanta Sankaradeva Award for 2008 to renowned film actress Sharmila Tagore at the same ceremony to be held at Pragjyoti ITA Centre for Performing Arts at Machkhowa, Guwahati from 4 pm.
Governor J B Patnaik, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi and Cultural Affairs Minister Pranatee Phukan will also be present at the award ceremony.
The President will then attend the closing ceremony of the Golden Jubilee celebrations of Pandu College in Guwahati on the same day at 5.30 pm, the sources said.
The next day on May 14, Mukherjee will leave for Silchar in south Assam to address the 13th Annual Convocation of Assam University, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown