President Pratibha Patil gets new set of bodyguards
New Delhi: President Pratibha Patil will now
have a new set of bodyguards as neatly dressed troops of the
Jammu and Kashmir Rifles took charge from the Assam regiment
during a ceremonial `Changing of the Guard` here.
Amid the trot of the horses and tunes of military band,
the 15th battalion of the Jammu and Kashmir Rifles (JAKRIF)
took over after the older regiment accomplished its tenure of
three years as the President`s Bodyguard (PBG).
During the 45-minute ceremony outside the South block,
soldiers performed the inspection of the new Guard, nomination
of sentries, a formal march to the post while the guards
With the Naval band playing in the background, the new
Guards marched from the Rashtrapati Bhavan to the Dominion
Columns lining the two wings of the Central secretariat.
The new Guard then stood alongside the old ones and the
Commanding Officer of the Assam Regiment handed over the keys
to his JAKRIF counterpart.
School students, general public and a host of dignitaries
gathered to witness the impressive ceremony which involved
smartly dressed troops and their caparisoned and muscled
The President`s Bodyguard (PBG), named so after India
became a Republic, was raised in 1773 at Varanasi by the then
Governor Warren Hastings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Telangana TS EAMCET Results 2016: Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test (TS EAMCET) results to be declared today on May 26 (Thursday) on www.tseamcet.in at 11 AM
- World leaders kick off G7 talks with economy, terrorism and refugees in focus
- Indians face public wrath in Congo after Congolese national bludgeoned to death in Delhi; govt rejects racism claims
- Trump denounces illegal immigrants as tensions flare
- Regardless of N-deal, primary American embargo on Iran to stay: US Treasury Department