President presents Gandhi Peace Prize to Chandi Prasad Bhatt
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Tuesday honoured noted environmentalist Chandi Prasad Bhatt with 2013 Gandhi Peace Prize at a glittering function in Darbar Hall at Rashtrapati Bhawan here.
Former prime minister Dr Manmohan Singh, Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Culture and Tourism Shripad Yesso Naik, Secretary, Culture Shri Ravindra Singh, diplomats from several countries and distinguished persons from all walks of life were present on the occasion.
The pioneer of the Chipko movement has also been awarded with the Ramon Magsaysay Award for community leadership in 1982 followed by the Padma Bhushan - the third highest civilian award of India in 2005.
The Gandhi Peace Prize was instituted in 1995 on the occasion of the 125th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
This annual award is given to individuals and institutions for their contributions towards social, economic and political transformation through non-violence and other Gandhian methods.
Previous recipients of the award include former president of Tanzania Julius K Nyerere, social worker Baba Amte, South Africa`s former president Nelson Mandela, among others.
The award carries a plaque, citation and an amount of Rs one crore.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police