President rejects mercy plea of death row convict
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee has rejected the mercy plea of death row convict Saibanna Ningappa Natikar, who had murdered his wife and daughter.
This is the second mercy petition that Mukherjee has rejected after assuming office.
The President had in November last year rejected the mercy petition of Mumbai terror attack convict Ajmal Kasab, who was then hanged in Yerwada jail in Pune, Maharashtra.
According to a Rashtrapati Bhavan statement, the President`s secretariat rejected Natikar mercy plea on January 04.Natikar is presently lodged in central prison at Belgaum in Karnataka.
Mukherjee has returned nine petitions including that of Mohammed Afzal Guru to the Home Ministry for further consideration.
Guru has been given death sentence for attacking Parliament in 2001 in which nine persons were killed and 16 were injured.
Article 72 of the Constitution empowers the President to pardon, grant reprieve or suspend, remit, commute sentence of a person convicted for any offence.
The Home Ministry acts as a nodal agency for the President Secretariat for deciding on mercy petitions.
The President had in November last year commuted death sentence of convict, Atbir, to life imprisonment.
Atbir was sentenced to death by a sessions court here in 2004 for the murder of his step mother, step sister and step brother over a property dispute in 1996. The decision was upheld by the High Court and Supreme Court in August 2010.
The President has disposed of the petition on November 15 commuting the death sentence given to him to life imprisonment.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation