President releases stamp on Parachute Regiment`s bicentenary
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Saturday released a stamp to commemorate the bicentenary celebrations of Army`s 3 Para (Special Forces) unit.
"Mukherjee released a commemorative stamp on the occasion of bicentenary celebrations of the 3rd Battalion, the Parachute Regiment (Special Forces) at a function at the Rashtrapati Bhavan," a Rashtrapati Bhavan statement said.
The stamp has been released in honour of the significant contribution made by the unit in ensuring the security of the nation and to inspire its men to tackle challenges which have in the past and will in the future continue to bring glory to the nation, it said.
Defence Minister AK Antony, Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh and Director General Military Operations and Colonel of the Parachute Regiment Lt Gen Vinod Bhatia were also present on the occasion.
Raised on March 8, 1813, the 3 Para (SF) is one of the first battalions of the Army which served under the United Nations flag from November 1956 to November 1957 as part of Indian contingent of the United Nations Emergency Force in Egypt and Gaza Strip.
It took part in various operations before and during World War I and during World War II it participated in operations in the Middle East and Burma.
During Jammu and Kashmir Operations, it took part in the famous battle of Shelatang on November 7, 1947.
The battalion has been awarded with 4 Mahaveer Chakras, one Kirti Chakra, 15 Veer Chakras and five Shaurya Chakras.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?