President set to offer prayers to Durga at family
Suri (WB): Protocol has made way for tradition it seems at Miriti, where President Pranab Mukherjee will worship his family deity, Devi Durga, at his ancestral house in West Bengal`s Birbhum district beginning Sunday.
Though the matter of protocol is more important this time, the President will take part in all puja rituals, according to his family and the district administration.
Arrangements have been made accordingly, but some change may take place finally, when probably for the first time, a President will worship his family deity as a priest.
The first citizen will reach Miriti, around 240 km from Kolkata on October 19 by helicopter and will stay till October 23, District Magistrate Jagdish Prasad Meena said.
Barring one or two times during the around five decades of political life Mukherjee has arrived in Miriti every year to offer puja to his family deity.
Despite being a very important minister of the central government then, Mukherjee has always spent the four days of the pujas in his ancestral house as a family member.
Mukherjee has been very sincere to the tradition established by his grandfather Jangaleswar Mukherjee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi