President stresses on dignity of women
Suri: A civilised society must be aware of the dignity of women, President Pranab Mukherjee on Thursday said when asked about the menace of increasing crime against women.
"That society is not at all a civilised society where women are tortured," Mukherjee said at a programme in Kirnahar Shib Chandra High School, where he had studied up to the primary level.
The president was replying to the statement made by a teacher, who said "Sir, we are worshipping Durga, on the other hand the modesty of the women are being outraged every day."
Mukherjee also said, "it is a matter of shame for a society. We have to keep up respect towards womenfolk."
Arun Roy, a teacher of the school, said "after entering the school compound, the President visibly became emotional. He spent around one hour and ten minutes though the time allotted was 45 minutes."
Mukherjee reached Kirnahar in Birbhum district this afternoon. He was received by West Bengal Fisheries minister Chandranath Sinha and the district magistrate J P Meena at a make-shift helipad.
Mukherjee, who would stay here for four days, would attend a number of programmes including the Durga puja celebration at his ancestral home at Mirati village.
The president, who was accompanied by his wife Subhra Mukherjee, also visited his elder sister, Annapurna Mukherjee at her house in Kirnahar.
Tomorrow, Mukherjee is expected to attend the Saptami puja, after which he would go to the Visva Bharati University.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened