President to fly fighter jet only if fit: IAF chief
New Delhi: President Pratibha Patil is "medically fit" to fly in a frontline Sukhoi fighter aircraft, but would undertake the sortie only if found fit on the day of the flight, IAF chief P V Naik said here on Friday.
"We have completely evaluated her health. She has been preparing for this for the last two months and she is medically fit," Air Chief Marshal Naik told reporters here.
"Even on the day she goes on the sortie, she will be tested, just before she gets into the aircraft. Only if the President is medically fit on that particular day, she will take the flight," he said, when queried on the fitness of the 74-year-old President.
Patil is scheduled to fly the air superiority aircraft from Lohegaon airbase near Pune on November 25 and will be doing so in her capacity as the Supreme Commander of the armed forces.
"Being the Supreme Commander of the armed forces, it is a matter of pride for the IAF that she will be flying one of our aircraft," Naik said.
Asked if her flight would pave the way for IAF women officers to become fighter pilots, the air chief said, "Women can fly fighter aircraft and there are several civilian women, who have done so in the past".
He said Patil has been briefed and given a video-audio presentation on flying in a fighter jet plane by Air Force officers recently. "She will again be briefed on the day she will fly in the SU-30MKI," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH