President to honour naval officer for circumnavigation feat
New Delhi: It will be a dream come true for Lt Commander Abhilash Tomy when President Pranab Mukherjee felicitates the naval officer in Mumbai on Saturday for his feat in completing a non-stop solo circumnavigation of the globe under sails in 150 days.
34-year-old Tomy will be the cynosure of all eyes during the visit of Mukherjee for the concluding ceremony of accomplishment of Sagar Parikrama-II--Solo Non-Stop Unassisted Circumnavigation.
The Indian Navy had launched the project Sagar Parikrama I on August 19, 2009 in an indigenously built yacht named Mhadei and the first such Circumnavigation was accomplished by Commander Dilip Donde on May 22, 2010 with Tomy being his stand-by officer who assisted him at all the ports touched during his seven-month voyage.
However, Lt Cdr Tomy completed the second expedition alone on March 31 thereby making him the first Indian to accomplish this feat and joins the ranks of 80 others worldwide to complete this task.
His expedition was flagged off from Mumbai on November 1, 2012 and during the expedition, he sailed non-stop covering all three major Capes -- Cape Leeuwin off Australia, Cape Horn at the southern tip of South America and Cape of Good Hope.
When Lt Cdr Tomy, a maritime reconnaissance pilot, crossed the 10,000 nautical mile mark non-stop on January 9, 2013, he became the first Indian to do so.
Frenchman Francis Joyon holds the world record for fastest non-stop solo circumnavigation completing the feat in 67 days in January 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part II
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part III
- India is 35th member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- GST Bill: World knows which party is running away from debate in Parliament, says PM Modi
- Watch: Salman Khan's 'Sultan' title track packs quite a punch!
- Three candidates interviewed for SBI's MD post
- Awards are an inspiration to work harder: Amaal Mallik
- Former Real Madrid Galactico Michel Salgado signs for the Premier Futsal league