President urges youngsters to desist from drugs
Panaji: Highlighting the menace of drugs,
President Pratibha Patil on Monday asked the youths to desist from
"There is a tendency to consume drugs amongst the youth.
I urge our young people to be cautious," Patil said during the
civic reception hosted at National Institute of Oceanography
The President, who is on a four-day visit to the state,
said youngsters should be made aware of the negative fallouts
of drug consumption through awareness campaigns.
Referring to the mining industry in the state, Patil said
the state should give its forests more importance by opting
for afforestation in the areas where mining has occurred.
"Given that tourism is a major revenue and employment
generating sector of the economy, I am sure that efforts would
be made in this direction along with work to conserve and
preserve the unique natural environment in Goa, which promotes
eco-tourism," she said.
Goa Governor Dr SS Sidhu, Chief Minister Digamber Kamat
and host of other dignitaries from across the state were
also present in the function.
The President said the truest measure of a progressive
state is the welfare of its people and their development.
"It is only when the most disadvantaged are brought into
the mainstream, true progress will be achieved," she added.
Patil said that Goa has been increasingly moving towards
urbanisation in the last decade adding, "Provisions of civic
amenities, systematic urban planning and proper urban
governance are important to have clean and livable cities."
Emphasising that every inhabitant has a role to play,
Patil expressed confidence that the people of Goa would work
together to keep the state clean, maintain its heritage,
its beauty and its healthy environment.
Governor Sidhu, in his speech expressed concern over the
state`s beaches that are reeling under global warming.
"Some of our beaches are being washed away," he said.
The Governor also said that in the wake of increasing
terrorism and the recent Margao blast, security has gained
paramount importance in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog