President visits Vaishno Devi shrine
Katra: President Pratibha Patil on Saturday
paid obeisance at the Vaishno Devi Shrine here situated at the
Trikuta Hills in Jammu and Kashmir.
Patil, who flew to the shrine, offered prayers this
morning during her hour-long visit at the hill shrine. She
also held a meeting with the members of the Shrine Board to
take stock of the management of the shrine.
Elaborate security arrangements were made for the
President`s visit to the holy cave shrine situated at an
altitude of 52,000 ft.
Visitors have to undertake a trek of nearly 12 km from
Katra to reach there. About 87.50 lakh faithful had visited
the shrine last year while more than nine lakh yatris had
visited in October.
The President, who is on a two-day visit to Jammu and
Kashmir, had yesterday visited the ancient Raghunathji temple
in Jammu and presided over the convocation ceremony of Shri
Mata Vaishno Devi University (SMVDU).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing