President visits Vaishno Devi shrine
Katra: President Pratibha Patil on Saturday
paid obeisance at the Vaishno Devi Shrine here situated at the
Trikuta Hills in Jammu and Kashmir.
Patil, who flew to the shrine, offered prayers this
morning during her hour-long visit at the hill shrine. She
also held a meeting with the members of the Shrine Board to
take stock of the management of the shrine.
Elaborate security arrangements were made for the
President`s visit to the holy cave shrine situated at an
altitude of 52,000 ft.
Visitors have to undertake a trek of nearly 12 km from
Katra to reach there. About 87.50 lakh faithful had visited
the shrine last year while more than nine lakh yatris had
visited in October.
The President, who is on a two-day visit to Jammu and
Kashmir, had yesterday visited the ancient Raghunathji temple
in Jammu and presided over the convocation ceremony of Shri
Mata Vaishno Devi University (SMVDU).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak