President visits Vaishno Devi shrine
Katra: President Pratibha Patil on Saturday
paid obeisance at the Vaishno Devi Shrine here situated at the
Trikuta Hills in Jammu and Kashmir.
Patil, who flew to the shrine, offered prayers this
morning during her hour-long visit at the hill shrine. She
also held a meeting with the members of the Shrine Board to
take stock of the management of the shrine.
Elaborate security arrangements were made for the
President`s visit to the holy cave shrine situated at an
altitude of 52,000 ft.
Visitors have to undertake a trek of nearly 12 km from
Katra to reach there. About 87.50 lakh faithful had visited
the shrine last year while more than nine lakh yatris had
visited in October.
The President, who is on a two-day visit to Jammu and
Kashmir, had yesterday visited the ancient Raghunathji temple
in Jammu and presided over the convocation ceremony of Shri
Mata Vaishno Devi University (SMVDU).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Germany's top immigration officer anticipates 300,000 refugees in 2016
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers