Presidential poll: NDA divided over Kalam?
New Delhi: National Democratic Alliance (NDA) meet on Friday to select the presidential candidate ended without conclusion after JD(U) president Sharad Yadav opposed the projecting of APJ Abdul Kalam as the next President of India, reports claimed.
Interestingly, JD(U) chief registered his opposition on a day when Bihar Chief Minister Kumar who heads the JD(U)-BJP coalition in the state, hosted Dr Kalam for lunch in Patna.
Maintaining a cautious approach, Sharad Yadav downplayed Kalam`s luncheon meeting with Nitish. He said the former president`s visit was pre-planned and "there is no need to look at it from any political prism.
“No talk on the issue of Presidential poll happened between them (Kalam and Nitish)," he said.
"No decision is also a decision. A decision has not taken right now so that a decision can be taken at an opportune time. The message of the NDA meeting today was wait and watch and allow a clear picture to emerge," Yadav said when asked about the outcome of the NDA meeting.
Yadav also said that his party will not be proposing the name of any candidate for the Presidential poll and maintained it will go with the collective choice on the issue.
"So many names have already come up that no sensible man in politics would like to float any more names," he said.
He said that the NDA decision on the matter would be a collective one.
Earlier BJP veteran LK Advani said that the NDA meeting discussed all probable candidates and if needed, a second meeting would be held which will include chief ministers from NDA-ruled states.
"We will continue to watch the development and if a decision is to be taken by us and it can contribute to sound decision so far president is concerned... We will take it later... We will assemble later and maybe we will like to consult our chief ministers and call them here in NDA meeting," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened