Presidential poll: NDA divided over Kalam?
New Delhi: National Democratic Alliance (NDA) meet on Friday to select the presidential candidate ended without conclusion after JD(U) president Sharad Yadav opposed the projecting of APJ Abdul Kalam as the next President of India, reports claimed.
Interestingly, JD(U) chief registered his opposition on a day when Bihar Chief Minister Kumar who heads the JD(U)-BJP coalition in the state, hosted Dr Kalam for lunch in Patna.
Maintaining a cautious approach, Sharad Yadav downplayed Kalam`s luncheon meeting with Nitish. He said the former president`s visit was pre-planned and "there is no need to look at it from any political prism.
“No talk on the issue of Presidential poll happened between them (Kalam and Nitish)," he said.
"No decision is also a decision. A decision has not taken right now so that a decision can be taken at an opportune time. The message of the NDA meeting today was wait and watch and allow a clear picture to emerge," Yadav said when asked about the outcome of the NDA meeting.
Yadav also said that his party will not be proposing the name of any candidate for the Presidential poll and maintained it will go with the collective choice on the issue.
"So many names have already come up that no sensible man in politics would like to float any more names," he said.
He said that the NDA decision on the matter would be a collective one.
Earlier BJP veteran LK Advani said that the NDA meeting discussed all probable candidates and if needed, a second meeting would be held which will include chief ministers from NDA-ruled states.
"We will continue to watch the development and if a decision is to be taken by us and it can contribute to sound decision so far president is concerned... We will take it later... We will assemble later and maybe we will like to consult our chief ministers and call them here in NDA meeting," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla