Presidential poll: Sonia Gandhi meets Cong MPs
New Delhi: Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Tuesday held brief interactions with party MPs from all states on the issue of the Presidential election for which voting will take place on Thursday.
Emerging from the meeting, Union Minister Harish Rawat told reporters that such meetings are held ahead of every presidential and Vice Presidential election.
"Discussions took place about the process and procedure of voting," he said.
The Union Minister dismissed the possibility of cross-voting in the UPA camp when pointed out that the NDA-backed opposition nominee PA Sangma is pinning hope on a conscience vote in the Presidential poll.
"There is no possibility of any cross-voting in the UPA. It is for them (opposition) to take care whether cross voting takes place in their camp or not. UPA is intact," Rawat said.
He also pointed out that NDA ally JD(U) and Shiv Sena have already backed Pranab Mukherjee`s candidature.
Congress MPs led by AICC in-charge of respective states came to meet Gandhi in separate batches. Those who met Gandhi included most of the Union Ministers hailing from different states.
Gandhi is learnt to have told the MPs to maintain caution during voting so that nothing goes wrong and all formalities are completed.
The meeting took place a day after indications came from AICC that Rahul Gandhi could play a larger role in the party.
However, party leaders who met the Congress president, made it clear that this issue did not figure in their interaction with Gandhi today.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani