Presidential polls: Wait and watch, says Kalam
New Delhi: As the talks of former president APJ Abdul Kalam’s return to Rashtrapati Bhavan are gaining momentum, Kalam on Saturday didn’t rule himself out from the race.
"Let us wait for some time...After that you ask me," Kalam told reporters here when asked whether he was ready to be elected for a second term as President.
His remarks came at a time when political leaders are holding meetings to reach at a consensus for the election of a new President.
Reports say Mulayam Singh’s Samajwadi Party, J Jayalalithaa’s AIADMK and Mamata Banerjee’s Trinamool Congress have reached an understanding on supporting Kalam for the top post.
NCP chief Sharad Pawar, an ally of the ruling UPA government, also had said that he wants a non-political person to become the next president.
"In my opinion, a non-political person would be the ideal choice as the next president," Pawar had said.
The NCP chief’s statement is important in the context of reports that the Congress may field its own nominee for the presidential elections.
Sources say that the Congress contender could be Defence Minister AK Antony.
There has also been talk of Congress’ Sam Pitroda, Vice President Hamid Ansari, SAD chief Parkash Singh Badal being considered for the top post.
Kalam had served as the President between 2002 and 2007.
In the 2007 Presidential elections, Kalam`s name was proposed by smaller parties to enter the race but he backed out at the last minute in the absence of a consensus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!