President`s medals for CRPF men who killed Kishenji
New Delhi: Three CRPF commandos who formed the strike squad that killed top Maoist leader Kishenji have been named for President`s police medals for gallantry on the eve of Republic Day.
S Sreenu, Birendra Kumar Singh and Deepak Kumar Xaxa were part of the special CoBRA team that killed the CPI (Maoist) central committee member, whose real name was Koteshwar Rao, in the forests of Burisole near Jhargram in West Bengal on November 24, 2011.
Last year, CRPF assistant commandants Vinoj P Joseph and Nagendra Singh, both officers of CRPF`s CoBRA battalion, were decorated with the `Shaurya Chakra` for the same operation.
Kishenji was killed "thanks to this operation in which these constables, shoulder-to-shoulder fought with great determination, extraordinary bravery and conspicuous bravery", the citation for these three personnel stated.
Another trooper S Muthuvel who was instrumental in cutting the Maoists supply line for additional weapons during this operation could not make to the gallantry list this time as force officials said he is expected to be given the award next year.
All the troopers belong to the 207 unit of the Commando Battalion for Resolute Action (CoBRA) and were handpicked by the force to be a part of the anti-Naxal operations and jungle warfare in the state.
The CRPF has received the maximum number of gallantry awards announced today, with 32 police medals for gallantry which includes 14 posthumously.
The CRPF also topped the medals tally with 95 medals out of the 875 in all categories.
The maximum number of these medals have been won by the CRPF in the anti-Naxal operations domain.
The force has deployed more than 80,000 personnel for anti-Naxal operations in various states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey