Pressure makes Symbiosis abandon Kashmir seminar
Pune: Under pressure from several right-wing groups, the Symbiosis College of Arts and Commerce has cancelled the screening of a documentary which was part of the ‘Voices of Kashmir’ seminar.
In fact, the seminar which was to begin on February 3, has been postponed indefinitely.
BJP’s student wing, the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) had earlier sent a notice to the institute raising objections against screening the documentary which it called as “separatist”.
An organisation representing displaced Kashmiri Pandits had also raised its voice against the seminar.
ABVP and Panun Kashmir representatives who met the college authorities on Monday and said the proposed screening of the a documentary, ‘Jashn-e-Azadi’, at
the seminar projected the militants in the Valley as "heroes" and was critical of the Indian Army.
This was not acceptable, they maintained.
"We submitted a memorandum to the college authorities against offering a platform to anti-national elements at the seminar and they told us that the seminar would be postponed," a spokesman of ABVP said today.
Rohit Bhat, Coordinator of Pune chapter of PK, said that the proposed seminar should be more "inclusive" and project a balanced view of the situation in the militancy-hit state which also includes Jammu and Ladakh regions.
A Symbiosis spokesman said the three-day meet was being postponed. He said the meet was intended to be an "apolitical and academic event" without hurting anybody`s sentiments.
The college has not announced new dates for the postponed event.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune