Pressure makes Symbiosis abandon Kashmir seminar
Pune: Under pressure from several right-wing groups, the Symbiosis College of Arts and Commerce has cancelled the screening of a documentary which was part of the ‘Voices of Kashmir’ seminar.
In fact, the seminar which was to begin on February 3, has been postponed indefinitely.
BJP’s student wing, the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) had earlier sent a notice to the institute raising objections against screening the documentary which it called as “separatist”.
An organisation representing displaced Kashmiri Pandits had also raised its voice against the seminar.
ABVP and Panun Kashmir representatives who met the college authorities on Monday and said the proposed screening of the a documentary, ‘Jashn-e-Azadi’, at
the seminar projected the militants in the Valley as "heroes" and was critical of the Indian Army.
This was not acceptable, they maintained.
"We submitted a memorandum to the college authorities against offering a platform to anti-national elements at the seminar and they told us that the seminar would be postponed," a spokesman of ABVP said today.
Rohit Bhat, Coordinator of Pune chapter of PK, said that the proposed seminar should be more "inclusive" and project a balanced view of the situation in the militancy-hit state which also includes Jammu and Ladakh regions.
A Symbiosis spokesman said the three-day meet was being postponed. He said the meet was intended to be an "apolitical and academic event" without hurting anybody`s sentiments.
The college has not announced new dates for the postponed event.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters