Prevention of Terrorism Act to get more teeth
New Delhi: With the Lok Sabha passing the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Amendment (UAPA) Bill Friday, the government will give more teeth to the Prevention of Terrorism Act 2002 by including offences that threaten the country`s economic security.
The bill, passed by voice vote, also extends the period of the ban on an organisation from two years to five years.
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said the government would not misuse the act.
"The UAPA is being amended to bring clarity to the existing legal regime and remove deficiencies identified in its implementation by the central and state intelligence and investigating agencies," Shinde said.
The bill also covers procurement of weapons, raising funds for terrorist activities and counterfeiting Indian currency.
Communist Party of India leader Prabodh Panda, Communist Party of India-Marxist leader Saidul Haque and Biju Janata Dal leader Bhartruhari Mahtab wanted the bill to be deferred so that it could be debated thoroughly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note