Prez asks colleges to meet skilled manpower crisis
Pune: President Pratibha Patil Monday asked colleges in the country to make vigorous efforts to meet India`s growing requirement of skilled human resources to contribute in the progress of the nation.
"Our country is undergoing a period of transformation and in this age of knowledge based technology, colleges need to perform well to meet the requirement of educated and skilled manpower," she said at the post-centennial silver jubilee celebrations of Deccan Education Society and Fergusson College here.
Patil said the post-independence period saw setting up of a large number of colleges and universities in the country which produced generations of educated citizens.
"But there is a tendency to blame the government for all the problems facing the nation, namely, poverty, unemployment, growing population or corruption. We should ponder over the contribution our educated manpower can make in solving these problems by regarding it as a social obligation," she added.
Describing today`s India as "the nation of the young", the President said the youth should endeavour to acquire various skills needed to excel in different fields of knowledge and industry and take the country ahead on the path of becoming an economic superpower.
She recalled that one of the female students of Fergusson College had died in the February 13 terror attack in Pune, and said the youths should make themselves strong to deal with the threat of terrorism and ensure that the country`s progress was not hampered by the global menace.
Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Chhagan Bhujbal who was present on the occasion, praised Deccan Education Society`s contribution in the field of education in Maharashtra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?